The making of a Regional Harvest Crusade
Selection of a Region:
The Board of Africa Harvest Mission (Chaired by Steven Sebyala) prayerfully sits to set out a strategic pathway for evangelism. When on the drawing table, with the Chairman, a scouting team is put together to visit the area. The functions of the scouting team are to establish contact with the resident church leaders, venue identification, negotiate fees, securing accommodation for the team, seeking and acquiring permission for the venue, security clearance, customs and immigration requirements, and set appointments and venue for an all church leaders and workers planning breakfast meeting.
Harvest Mission crusades target large regions because we believe it is the quickest method of reaching a particular area with the Gospel. We mobilize people from different cities, towns and villages surrounding that region and draw them to one central ground. We met with Pastors on the ground and as a committee team, we organize the harvest crusade. The committee takes up the running of the crusade.
Example of the past Harvest Crusade in Bunyoro
Planning the Regional Harvest Crusade:
Crusades are Labour intensive from Ushering, filling out Decision cards, translation, among others. For this reason Africa Harvest Mission involves the community where the crusade will be held. We host resident Pastors and Church workers to a breakfast during which we share ideas, insights and suggestions of how we can most efficiently reach and win that region for Christ. Working with a team that knows the area so well helps us prepare efficiently and effectively.
Crusade Venue Preparations Slide Show:
Through the media including radio stations, Television, Newspapers, Posters and fliers, banners, we are able to advertise the crusades. On the first day of the crusades we march through the streets leading to the crusade ground. The music played by the brass bands draws multitudes to follow to the crusade ground. Resident Churches are grouped together on the basis of location with a band they come to the grounds. These pictures were taken when we had the Mbarara Harvest Crusade in Uganda.
Crusade Workers Training:
Since we work with the local churches, they also serve as prayer and training bases. During the daytime, we train and prepare the Christians for ministry at the crusade such as follow up, ushering, interpretation, filling decisions, local evangelistic music, crowd control and other crusade related activities depending on the region we are visiting. The members of those churches play a significant role in the crusade. They are the manpower we have at the crusade for roles requiring many people. At the prayer centers, we pray for the release of God’s mercy and saving grace upon that region. We long for the manifest presence of God on the grounds.
1. Evening crusade gathering: This is the main event for the Harvest crusades in the evenings from 04:00pm to 08:00pm and during these gatherings; normally thousands of people gather to hear the gospel and thousands do make decisions for Christ, and we always see great miracles, mighty healings and many signs and wonders and hundreds get baptized in the holy spirit.
2. Leadership training empowerment seminars: During the morning time beginning from 10:00am to 02:00pm hundreds of church leaders, church workers and organization leaders in these regions gather for training and empowerment in various areas of ministry and doctrine. The training sessions also aims at imparting good leadership skills that will enable them to effectively participate in the educational development, political leadership and economic development of their regions with a special emphasis on agricultural development.
3. School outreaches: The youth are the leaders of tomorrow and in the morning hours we target to reach all the schools, colleges and universities in the region. Different teams are organized to reach the various institutions sharing the love of Christ, guiding and counseling the young people in regards to good social and moral behavior and pray for them to grow strong in the Lord and develop leadership skills to be able to meet the challenges of the world today. This has brought great transformations in the young people in the regions we have reached.
4. Public health outreach: We have a mobile clinic that is not yet equipped but we mobilize medical personnel, health workers and counselors to offer free medical services to the community. We do this in liaison with the local hospitals which deal where we refer the cases we cannot handle. Our areas of focus include HIV/ AIDS counseling, Child care and nutrition, and antenatal maternal care to those who cannot afford it. This has been a great blessing in all the places we have been.
5. Prison outreach: We also reach out to all the prisons in the region with love packages sharing the redemptive love of Jesus Christ and we have seen hundreds of them getting converted.
6. Community work: On Saturday morning we mobilize all the Christians in the area and we clean the main cities of the region we have gone to. This activity involves unblocking drainage trenches, clearing overgrown bushes around the town, cleaning spring wells, markets and generally cleaning up the towns. In every region we have been, this exercise has warn people’s hearts to the love and care of Christ. Africa harvest mission also mobilizes funds and carries out community development projects in line with the needs of different communities such as building wells to provide clean water in the community.
7. Relief and aid: Many of the rural regions of Africa have been ravaged by war and several natural disasters which have led to poverty and left some people destitute. When preparing for the crusades we mobilize relief packages from our partners and donate it to those who are in need of it in the region of the harvest crusade.
LEADERSHIP TRAINING AND EMPOWERMENT CONFERENCES
The Goal of Africa harvest mission is to reach one billion souls with the gospel of Jesus Christ across Africa and around the world by the year 2050. One of the strategies employed to achieve this is in training pastors, church workers and leaders who are greatly needed in winning the lost and discipling the new Christians.
During the harvest crusades the leadership training and empowerment conference is the key activity during the morning time beginning from 09:00am to 02:00pm for four days. In the past three years we have held 28 conferences with an average attendance of 300 to 500 leaders in each region. The main aim of these training conferences is;
- To train pastors, church leaders and church workers to disciple new believers within sound doctrine and biblical teaching. As people accept Christ in the mass evening gatherings, we always collect their information and put them in touch with the local pastors for discipleship.
- To impart good leadership principles that will enable the pastors and church leaders to effectively participate in the educational development, political leadership and economic development of their regions with a special emphasis on agricultural development
- To train, empower and equip the pastors, church leaders and church workers to overcome the daily challenges and limitations found in the mission field so that they become more vibrant in evangelism to transform their regions in a wholistic approach.
- Many areas of Africa are still un-churched during these conferences we encourage local pastors to be strong and bold in faith and take up the leadership of the churches that are planted after the crusade.
- During the conferences the participants get time to pray together, encourage each other, as they share testimonies and practical information on a wide range of topics and experiences, and to lay strategies for the evangelization of their local region.
At the end of the crusades, the Africa Harvest Mission team is ready to go home. Everyone has worked tirelessly to fulfill their responsibilities for the success of the crusade. There is also excitement about reuniting with family and the church back home. The decision cards are counted and handed over to the chairman of the crusade committee. These cards are subdivided basing on the location of the new convert and the church nearest to the address filled on the card. The purpose of this is to enable follow up for the church because All Africa shall be saved.
MAKING AFRICA A JESUS CONTINENT
- 0Reads today:
- 4532Total visitors:
- 0Visitors today: